Jul 22, 2010

Life after death


I was standing in the room. Standing by my Fon Fon Ru's side. She and her family were in deep prayers as her Ah Gong was leaving them that night.

I watched as the heart monitor fluctuated. His gasping of air slow. And before you knew it. Ah Gong has went to a better place.

Tears were heard all around. Withdrawn look were in each eyes. The passing of a beloved figure is too much to bear.

My thoughts were in disarray as well. I never witnessed losing someone right before my eyes. Its not something I hope to be around for, but strangely you know you have to be there.

As I thought this later, I realised I had not been a worthy grandson to my late Maternal Grandfather (Gong Gong) and my late Paternal Grandmother (Mama). I wasnt around when both of them were leaving.

Gong Gong passed on when I was 15. He went off at his home. A cosy setting with my parents and all his children (and some grandchildren) by his side. I wasnt there to send him off and I felt disgusted by this.

Mama passed on just 2 years back. She was hospitalise and went into a coma. I was there on a regular basis and she left in a hush the night after her baptism. I wasnt there for the baptism either.

However whats done cant be undone. I could only repay my gratitude to those who are still around.

Lately, we celebrated my Ah ye (Paternal Grandfather) birthday. He was a joyful old man who kept shaking our hands. I could tell that he is not sure we are his family but he is happy to be among a big crowd of people.

We brought him down to the garden and with a small cake and lighted candle left him with the biggest smile I have seen for a long time. We had wanted to bring him out for dinner as well, but his health could no longer endure the distance and hours.

Nevertheless, we were rejoice to see him smile.

(PS. Kinda pissed off when FIFA insisted Mandela to attend the World Cup finals)

Related Posts with Thumbnails