Dec 2, 2010

Wedding experience: The guest list

Ok I am jumping the gun here. The thing to do after the finding the venue is the photo-takings, gowns and more.... But I thought I would write about the table numbers first as this is currently my headache.

In a sense this is related to the earlier post on the Venue. Not all the places you want to host your wedding banquet at, could cater to your guest list.

Some of the smaller hotels, have a maximum capacity of 20 or less tables. And when they say 20, they really mean 20. Its simply impossible to put even a baby seat. Then there are those whom has a minimum of 50 tables. I aint kidding about this. Anything less is not possible. Its perhaps the size of a football field.

I intend to keep my wedding guest list as small as possible. A cosy wedding is what I always like to have. That way I could mingle with my guests and not just pop by their table only during the photo shoots.

However, my family tree is pretty scary. Just counting my 2nd degree of relatives alone would come up to 12 tables. Once I include my family's friends, distant relatives that my family is close with, friends and colleagues, My side alone represents 20+ tables. Which is why, a cosy wedding was never possible for me. A loud and noisy one is what I have been used to.

So with a forecast of guests that my wife and myself work out, we are seeing a possible of 30+ tables. This narrows down the choices of certain hotels venue to a handful. In the end, it was a close fight between Conrad and Marriott, and we had opt for the latter for some other smaller reasons.

If you happen to have a small guest list, the good thing some of this hotel establishments, have smaller rooms. The only drawback is that such rooms are not as fancy as their ballrooms. You tend to feel cheated by the lower ceiling, pillars and narrow walkway. Do also be prepare for lesser perks that the establishment is likely to offer.

But of course, take each fall back as an opportunity. If you could not find a venue you are happy with, dont settle for less. Try to think out of the box with something like a beach wedding or a wedding in Bali. There is definitely something you would like once you explore on your choices more. (ehh provided you have the luxury of time) Its your special day and you would definitely want it to be a memorable event.

My current predicament is that we had signed for a minimum of 36 tables. Its likely we be risking a shortfall in attendance. We intend to invite only our close friends and family to be a part of our celebration. No tom, dick and harry would be on our list. (Heng none of my friends have these names)

This may be an unfounded fear on my part. After all, we have not finalised on the actual guest list as yet.

Anyhow, I should better get back to working on the slides and such.

Related Posts with Thumbnails