Jan 21, 2011

Wedding experience: The church part


Having been a Catholic for almost all my life, its natural for me to host my wedding in the church. Of cos, this is a pretty sensitive portion. After all, my Wife (yes Wife now) is not of my religion.

From my personal experience, a good 50% of couples are of mixed religion. Those who are of similar religion, may not be from the same church, cell group, etc. In other words, you may have to give and take on how you want your solemization to be carried out.

Let me discuss abt your solemization first. The first step is to register for it ONLINE. You have between 3 weeks to 3 months to register your wedding date. The earlier the better.

Prior to that you need to find a registered solemizer. Not some dude in an Elvis costume. You would need to book the place for the ceremony too.

For my case, my wedding is to be held in the church. And I learned it thru the hard way that there is no such thing as a church wedding coordinator. I pretty much planned the whole ceremony, decorations, timing, guest list, choir, etc on my own.

My wife is not of my religion and we attended a wedding preparation course. This is known as Engagement Encounter. The main purpose is to ensure that we are ready for marriage life and not just going thru it because the timing is ripe or the feeling is right.

We spent a weekend in an ulu location and worked out on many issues. I am glad we survived it well without needing to quarrel. There are some, whom had fights and left the place wondering if they should go ahead with their plans.

From the bottom of my heart, I would suggest all couples to attend to course. It helps to get you to understand your partner better. There are many things you would not even think of discussing now, and may bite you later. So its good to attend and learn how this course could help you and your partner work out your issues.

PS. I believed you dun even need to be Catholics to go for it.

Once the course is over we are given a cert and met up with our solemizer, Father Loisuea. He is probably past 90 years old and jokingly tells me that he would solemize my wedding provided he is still alive.

Father Loisuea briefed us on the church wedding and its importance. There is 2 options we can take. A full Wedding Mass or a Wedding Service. The differences is that the Service do away with the Eucharistic portion. ie. no blessing of bread and wine, no receiving of holy communion.

I had opted for that as I felt that going through a full mass would not be fair for those non catholics.

Father then gave me service booklets that were prepared by other couples. It was to be a good reference for me. Allowing for me to read through and learned how the whole ceremony flows.

The next part consist of the preparations.

1. Made booklets for my guests (can opt for Powerpoint slides if you want)
2. Source for a choir and organist.
3. Design and decide on the church decorations
4. Find a flower girl and a page boy (no need to be virgins)
5. Choose my readers and the scriptures to read
6. Arrange for rehearsal (VERY important)
7. Appoint a church coordinator

These were to be my biggest headaches and I am glad they kinda fall into place when the day arrived.

I must add that my Church Coordinator, Martin, had played a very big part for helping out. He was the director that ensure everyone carry out their roles well on the actual day.

Related Posts with Thumbnails