Jan 7, 2011

Wedding experience: The invites



Its been about a month since I have sent out my invitation. And in this current practise of invitation, you first ask the person whom you are inviting if he/she is available to come. If so, are they coming alone or with partner and if any kids too. THEN you send the invitation card.

Kinda makes the whole RSVP thing irrelevant.

Let me go true this in detail. First you have to know your venue size and the likely total number of guests you be inviting. There are 3 groups for each individual. The family, the friends and the colleagues.

For family, just leave your parents to settle. Less hassle really. For your friends and colleagues you have to do so yourself. Aside from the family group, which is more or less a fixed number. In other words, if you are related to me by blood, you have to attend. No buts.

For family and colleagues, its tougher. Give a rough count on the number of people by groups. For me, the scout friends is about 2 tables and my Secondary friend is just 1.

So from these, you will tally up to find a good estimate for yourself and partner. And then you go shop for a location that is able to accommodate them all.

Now as the wedding approaches, you would have to finalise your numbers. Real names have to put into your list. Its here when you be surprised. Your list might grow a further 10% (worst case scenario).

But that not the worst yet.

When you actually ask your guest if they be coming, you will need to relook once more. Sometimes the guys you be inviting have been staying aboard for years and you dont even know that. Sometimes, your friends are married (without telling you) and they be coming with their 3 kids.

So the number changes once more at this stage. This is the time you put their names down onto the card and mail to them. I had tried to meet up some of my closer friends to pass them their cards personnally. Its a difficult task which I took leave and had to juggle with different timetables to meet as many as I can in a day.

If you are reading this and I happened to post it to you.... Its because I tried to meet up but ermm.... we couldnt find a good time to meet. I really tried.

Oh wait, the surprises doesnt end yet. The guest list will keep evolving till your actual wedding day. I have colleagues who been asked to travel overseas at the last min.

PS. I would strongly suggest you do an excel file of your guest list. You wont be able to keep track who says what, or if you send them an invitation.... To be honest, I miss out on a few guys whom I had informed them about my wedding and absolutely forgotten to do up their cards.

Anyhow, you should still progressively do up your table list. This is the list you group who sit where.

Things to consider

1. Any infant seats? If so, its a 10 + 1
2. Any Vegetarian or Halal? Could be a 10 + 1
3. Try to put friends in the same cliche together
4. Those who really only know you and no one else, just put a noisy friend next to them and hope they click
5. Breaking up a group of 12 into 6-6 and mixing them with other group
6. Put any single guys together any single girls. (Only do so if you have time)

Ok I need to get back to my list. Still have work to do of it

Related Posts with Thumbnails