May 14, 2006

East meets east

I tried a silly recipe today. And to make the matters more interesting, I cooked at a little campsite near changi with messtins and solid fuels. Move aside Jamie Oliver, for I can improvise.

NDR, Inky, Sherlyn, YL, Aung and Karen were having a camp by the wonderful beach of changi once more. Its a beautiful location which I camped at last June and the memories of the time spend there were still fresh in me.

I would have stayed overnight with them but the lure of Liverpool playing in the FA Cup final was too great. It was worth it for Liverpool WON. Anyway, back to the topic.

I spent like 20 mins browsing around NTUC prior to meet up. I have absolutely no idea what I want to cook. I am just keen to avoid the usual instant noodles, luncheon meat, sausages and corn which we all brings for every camp.

As I walked down the sections, the strawberries caught my eyes and I put those in the baskets. The girls would live it. Then I pass by the meat section and I was tempted by the minced meat and got them as well. Might try making beef patties or meat ball I tot. Then I went to the dried section and found the tasty instant marsh potatoes. Now this is something I can use. Finally I stopped by the Jap section and decided to buy the curry paste.

When I finally arrive at camp (amid all the delays) we spread our sheets, build the tent and light the fire. I placed the minced meat onto the messtin and fried it a little before I added water and placed all the Jap curry paste into it. NDR took the marsh potatoes and wipe them up nicely with luncheon meat in them. Apparently luncheon meat was the ingredient for almost every dish.....

anyway, I let the curry cooked for a while... till Karen came by and commented that it should taste interesting if there is noodles in it. Immediately I dumped 1 pack in and stir. Sure enough, the taste was amazing. The noodles are not too soft since most of the water is trapped by the curry. The curry was sweet and a little spicy. The meat within it makes the whole dish a little thick. I gave Inky a spoon and he kept spooning me I mean mine.

The cook out turns out great. I guess I will be bringing Jap curry for all camps now.

BTW, happy 6 years to yinglong and sherlyn

Related Posts with Thumbnails