Sep 6, 2010

Contrast of meetings


As I walked by a general meeting room to top up my kettle, I was entertained by the people in it happily clapping away. It was as if they were giving appreciation to someone on a job well done.

This got me thinking of an old interesting experience I had.

Years ago.....

My scouts boy had a combined activity with a certain girl guide unit. The activity went well in my context and a joint debrief was held with the patrols leaders and the adult leaders.

What turns out here was a surprising development.

The girls started out first. The adult leader, whom was also their teacher, praised them for a job well done. She highlighted a handful of good jobs and each time the girls would clap in appreciation.

My boys then were amused by this. This clapping was so unfamiliar to them. I too find it amusing and thought that this is perhaps what is lacking. A sense of appreciation for oneself to be contributing for the bigger group.

It just then, my scout leader stepped in for his evaluation of the activity. He is no more older than me by a few years and had dedicated most of his effort and time to better our scout group.

He started firmly. Pointing out various things that he is not happy about. There issue on things that gone wary and there are questions on the scouts and guides leadership.

Its then I turned to look at my CB and he gave me the same muted look. We both know that our senior has kinda ruined the moment. It is as if the silver and bronze finalists were openly criticised for not finishing first. And it happened in the big stadium with everyone looking at them. (the female leader jaw probably dropped)

We didnt stopped him then. As a band of adult leaders, we have to look the part that we are one united in opinion. The only thing we did as a saving grace is to thank the boys and girls for organising this and hope that we could do more activities together.

I am guessing the boys were confused on the praises the girls received and the girls were fearful of the torment the boys encountered.

PS. We did tell Aung our friend on his outburst later, we know the damage has been done.

Related Posts with Thumbnails