Jan 3, 2006

Our hermit crab, Hermie

We went down to Labrador park for the nice afternoon sun. As we walked along, I brought my kanojyo to the right end of it. Having heard that there would be hermit crabs around the area, we hope to spot a couple.

True enough, there were many little ones lazing around. Most of them are no bigger than a 5 cent coin. We din intend to bring back any small babies for fear their mummies would miss them. So we placed all the tiny ones onto a rock surface.

As the sky turned dark from gloomy looking clouds, I knew we had to leave soon. Just then I saw a little odd shape rock. I fancy looking into it and saw little arms sticking out. Its a hermit crab and slightly bigger than a 10 cent.

We din plan to keep it. After all its part of the eco system. But this one feels special somehow. We got a bottle and filled it with seawater before driving off. Dada-chan held it in her hand throughout, while I searched for a fish-rearing shop.

We came pass a quiet little area and found one, which we got a cheap little tank and nice green sand. Next we moved onto another and got dried bloodworms for it to feed on. In that shop, I discovered some interesting looking prawns. She said they were baby lobsters. They looked tasty and I thought I would probably come back and buy them another day. Perhaps by yearend or so, I can have some lobster salad for christmas.

Anyhow, we quickly went back her place and set up the tank. We laid the green sand as the bed and put a small rock at the side. Filled it up with seawater from the bottle and placed Hermie (which we named it) onto the rock.

Here is our first pet, Little Hermie.

ps. Hermie is a unisex name. We din have any idea of its gender. And NO we dun intend to follow any suggestions to find out either.

Related Posts with Thumbnails