Feb 8, 2009

Blading down the ECP

It was a lovely Sunday afternoon. The sky was bright, with a gentle breeze coming from the sea beyond. The sights at the ECP was beautiful. Crowd of family gathering, the kids running around endlessly, the girls in their bikini top passing by. Ah yes, ECP is a nice place to spend the afternoon indeed.

I took the opportunity to blade and parked the car at the carpark closest to Ford road. It has a nice gentle slope that leads to the cycle/blade track and would mean and easy time for me to put on my blades and gears before heading for the long sprint.

Its been about 1 year since I attempt this challenge to master the straight wheelers. Not an easy task since I had no specified training. I just put it on and find my balance. Letting the wind or slope dictate my direction initially (i kid)

Now I am able to move fairly well. Able to stay on 2 feet and not on my butt or back. I just need a little more time and little more confident. Quite sure I would be able to get up to speed and not let everyone overtake me.

Just at the resting point, somewhere before Bedok Jetty, where I probably have slided and scraped through 5km. I came to realise that I am running late. I need to be back fast and decided to attempt racing back in my blades asap. And it was a silly move.

I bladed like never before. Its no longer a leisure pace which I started off from. I had to blade fast and blade nonstop. At the midpoint, somewhere passing the Mac, I felt the strain and the pain in my feet were developing. Much like the Std Chart Run, I bite the bullet and held on.

I reach back my car in 40 mins. Remove the blades and jumped in. Started the engine and drove off. Reached the traffic lights and checked my feet. Saw the blisters and sighed. All in all, I thought I did not bad. But well, I shall never attempt this again.

Oh and there were a couple of cars racing down the ECP (expressway part). They were reving rather loudly. I din managed to catch a glimpse, but could have guess that he might look something like this.

Related Posts with Thumbnails