Jan 13, 2010

Fish tank != fire hazard


Couple of my colleagues are being forced to remove their fish tank. A report from the fire safety officer stated that this is a potential fire hazard. They are told that they have a week to remove it up before escalating it up to the higher management.

I was lucky for I never gotten a warning from them.... That was until today when I was told to remove my fish tank.

However I decided that I was not going to.

My tank is but a small item on my desk. It holds no more than 1 litre of water. As a comparison my kettle holds 1 ltr too. And thats a kettle which I brought for any oversea trip.

It has a tiny filter pump and a hanging light from Ikea. These 2 items are perhaps the only possible fire safety issue. However I never turn on the light after office hours, though I still leave the pump running.

In any case, I aint going to take this warning blindly.

There is no proof this is a fire hazard. They would have to show me that first. Be it in a report or any studies carried out. A hearsay that my great grand auntie's cousin's son-in-law's dog's pet fish has resulted in a fire, would not be good enough for me.

And if this matter escalate up to my boss's boss's boss, I would sit down and ask the guy whom is also my CHIEF ENGINEERING on how this is in any way a fire safety.

If they were to point out my pump is a danger. No worries, I can remove that DANGEROUS item.

I aint going to sit here and let some silly ruling make me comply. They could try this on some young naive scholar perhaps. But I aint that easy to back down.

Till the day comes when there is a directive saying I could not keep a fish tank in office, I would be happily taking care of my single CPO and multiple cherry.

Perhaps I would keep pet rabbits then or rename my fish tank as a Aquatic plant collection (the prawns are just pests).

Related Posts with Thumbnails