Oct 20, 2008

Good Morning Vietnam

Hi all!

I guess I should have said here that I was heading to Vietnam for a short trip.

But kinda in the midst of all the planning, I left this part out :S

Anyway, I visited a country which was never in my to do list. Nevertheless I had a great time there despite some incidents I am trying to forget.

I took an early flight. Way too early for comfort. As we arrived at the hotel, the cab driver saw my dreaminess and ask for 1 million dong. I had forgotten that the exchange rate was 1 SGD to 11,000 dong and crazily gave him that. He must have been trying not to laugh. For he disappear in a second after that.

sighs

Anyhow, the rest of the people are nice. Generally everyone is friendly and curious to see you. I went for a trip to the cu chi tunnel where part of the Vietnamese war was fought. It was interesting to see how hundreds of guerrillas could keep thousands of American troops frighten for years.

There was a portion where we crawl through a narrow tunnel. I was down on all 4s and though the adventurous part of me wanted to complete the 100m journey, the idiot decided to give up after 65m. When we got out, the 5 of us were looking at the 10 others (along with the tour guide) whom stop at 25m. The russian guy was amused that we are only 40m apart and yet we are so much more tired. I jokingly said that we have to go back down as we must have miss their exit. He din really laugh.



The impression vietnam gave me was that it reminds me of my childhood. I recalled food cooked on the streets, the dirty lanes, the people hanging out at the park (cos its free) and the old worn down building. This is Singapore 20 years ago. A trip back to a past that has been forgotten. A nostalgia feeling grips me. Like opening the old photo album and your pesky aunt is going thru and laughing how skinny we were.

There were endless motorbikes. Almost 1 per person. The rich guys are the only ones with cars. Crossing the street is an interesting challenge. Despite the street lights and the zebra crossing, its a local practice to keep moving. No matter what, the traffic never stands still. The trick is to walk slowly and see them give way to you. I had a hard time looking out for bikes that would dribble around you.



I wonder how did the Top Gear cast fare in Vietnam. I guess we would know in some weeks time.

Just a final note. If you do visit there, be careful of snatch thieves and pickpockets. I was harassed by them, for they seek to distract me while someone slip their hand thru my bag. It din happen as they plan as my valuables are all tuck in my berms and that I shouted at them the moment I felt my bag was opened.

Related Posts with Thumbnails