Oct 10, 2008

Poor Cherry



Once in a while, the folly foolish owner did something disastrous to his cherry shrimp tank that would lead to a chain of events.

Couple of days back on a tuesday, I was snacking on the dried fish snacks. I thought that since us human could love and enjoy such a tasty fishy treat, surely my shrimps would love them too.

I placed a tiny slice of it into the mini tank. Before long, a gang of shrimps were happily munching away while standing so comfortably on the thin slice. I thought that this might make a good treat for them. Much better than munching on crush goldfish food.

The next day (Wednesday) I arrived to find that there are 2 dead prawns. Statistically, 2 dead out of possible 40 is normal. Death is bound to happen after all. And well since prawns eat their own, I wont have to clean up.

Then on Thursday, I found 2 more dead. And I know that this is getting unusual. I checked to see what could be the cause for this. Placing my nose over the tank, I could detect that the water has turned foul.

This was unlikely to occur. After all, I regularly replace the water to ensure its cleanliness. Its then it hit me that the bloody fish food is the cause of all this.

I scope out the remainder and started to change the water. I couldnt possibly change the whole tank as that would stress the prawns. So a good 25% was swapped and I did another 25% today.

This greatly reduce the odour and since I see no more dead prawns. I would say that a major disaster was prevented. No more fooling around for me.

On a side note

One of my colleague who has invested in stock is wondering is there a connection between my prawns death and the stock market recent plunge. If there is a link, I guess I have to stop fooling around and just take good care of them.

Related Posts with Thumbnails