Oct 22, 2008

Its time to belt up

Here is BLM first and perhaps only safety tip. Its for all drivers and passengers out there. Please belt up (or buckle up) whenever you are in a moving vehicle.

I must admit that I do get lazy whenever I am at the rear seats. Always thinking that it is safe as long as I had to front seats there to protect me. But well, its this kind of thinking that would kill me eventually.

And you probably scratching your heads wondering why out of the blue I would give such an advise. Well for one thing my good bud, Martin has advised me time and again on safety. Sitting in his Ernie, you would be glad that you have the seat belt pressing hard against you.

For another I was wiki-ing while at work :$ Was reading on James Bond that leads to Aston Martins that leads to Jaguar and then 24 hr Le Mans and finally Jacky Ickx (I did venture into Top gear Challenges as well, God I love that show)

Apparently in the 1969 Le Mans event, new rookie Jacky Ickx did not like the tradition of running to your car at the drop of the flag. Many drivers would do so to save valuable time and might even skip the mandatory strapping up. Jacky protested the method by walking across the track while his competitors ran and nearly hit by a faster competitor's car while walking. Ickx took the time to fasten his safety belts before pulling away.

Sadly, the first lap of that race saw privateer racer John Woolfe killed in an accident, while Ickx would go on to win the race.

Related Posts with Thumbnails